I was sorry when my neighborhood little thrift store closed at the end of last year. I had found lots of old patterns, fabric, and clothes to refashion there.
There were some boxes of stuff for free out front, and like a parting gift, I came home with a pile of Christmas fabrics. They are mostly printed panels which makes for quick projects. Every year I plan on making a project or two.
This year I made pillow covers and a stocking.
How cute and festive are this doe and buck?
I paired them with this thrifted corduroy fabric and two red zippers from my stash.
This was my first time making zippered pillows. I used this tutorial from Design Sponge to get going on the sewing.
I shortened the zippers, and prepared to sew them in the bottom of the pillow. The idea is to make the zipper a few inches shorter than the side of the pillow, sew the little bit at the start and end of the seam, changing to a basting stitch for the length of the zipper. Then I pressed this seam open, and centered the zipper on it. In hindsight (ha!) I would have put some fabric glue to keep the zipper in place over the seam and prevent shifting while sewing both sides of the zipper down. Next I unpicked the basting stitches to open the zipper. To finish, simply leave the zipper partially open for turning and sew the other three sides.
I didn’t bother to buy pillow forms. Instead I just put these on two 16 inch couch pillows I already had. Very convenient! I also like that they’re not overstuffed like the pillow form I used last year for my quilted tree pillow because the flatter surface is better for showing the design.
A stocking shape was printed on Reindeer Tales fabric. I only had to cut out the two sides and sew. I also added a white craft sherpa fur that I doubled for the top of the stocking and used to make a hanging loop. The stocking is huge and won’t hang right unless it’s stuffed with tissue to keep its shape, but it’s cute as a gag stocking for someone who has been very good!
This photo shows the vast size of the stocking.
Both the corduroy and faux sherpa created annoying bits of fuzz all over the place. I made liberal use of a lint roller to keep my work surface clean.
Thank you to my model, Sparky, for making these projects look better.
I wish you happy holidays, happy sewing and making, and to all a good night!