I sewed another pair of stretch denim jeans.
It’s the Itch to Stitch Mountain View Pull on Jeans. It’s the fourth time I’ve used this pattern.
My denim is from Cali Fabrics. It is 10 ounce and described as midweight. I like this denim, but it isn’t as stretchy as my magic denim shorts that fit me perfectly through weight fluctuations. It was sold as 25% stretch, but I tested it as about 15-20%. My magic denim (from the thrift store so it’s also mystery denim) has about 30-35% stretch and the comfort is amazing! I still like the weight, the color, and even the smell of this denim, but I would love to find a stretchier denim. Previously, I had ordered stretch denim that I liked much less: one was shiny and didn’t look like denim, and another with color that came off on my hands just from touching it. It’s hard to find the perfect denim, but this is close enough that I would buy it again.
I love the cute doggy fabric that I found at Dollar Tree for the pockets.
I feared I wouldn’t be able to get the waistband over my hips, so decided to skip the elastic. I may redo the waistband and add elastic when I start wearing them again in the fall. I was going to substitute ponte knit fabric for the waistband, but the denim does stretch enough to just get past my hips. I will wear these a whole bunch because they meet my two musts in pants : stay up while walking, and complete comfort while sitting.
It turned out my Ginger Jeans are unwearable, because they wouldn’t stay up even after I added a button further in than the first one. I am always needing more bottoms than tops because I have often have pants that are either too big or too tight as my weight fluctuates 5-7 pounds.
I topstitched with the same gold thread, but omitted the rivets since I used them all up.
But…I made a mistake eliminating the back seam. That seam really does help with lessening the typical bagginess I have in the back thigh.
I would have taken in the inseam more but I had already topstitched it. I also think I have a too long crotch extension. I did a flat seat adjustment, but that wasn’t enough.
On the same afternoon I finished the pants, I quickly sewed up a tee shirt. I used a 3X tee shirt I got at Dollar Tree as my fabric, and a free pattern. I really like my dollar shirt. I used the easy tee pattern from It’s Always Autumn blog. The one size she offers, a size large, fits me well. I’ve also used the free Kirsten Kimono Tee Shirt pattern from MariaDenmark for this type of tee shirt. The shirt has cut-on sleeves without an armhole seam. I raised the neckline, and I sewed a band for the sleeve cuffs the same as I did for the neckband.
Next up: I’m excited to get started on my summer sewing. I plan on making 2 to 3 pairs of shorts, 2 tops, and maybe a dress or skirt.