It’s not a quilt, and it’s not exactly crazy, but I did find a use for this beautiful fabric, thrifted for $1, from my stash. The fabric is textured with surface stitching like a quilt, but is not pieced.
I paired it with every last bit of a pale green fabric I had, and a cotton eyelet trim that had been given to me. I used french seams throughout so all of the raw edges are enclosed.
It’s so feminine and fresh for spring and summer. I love it!
I also finished the flower basket embroidery on my muslin cloth. This was also an item from the thrift store. Instead of matching colors from my existing floss, I bought DMC #8 perle cotton after I looked closely and realized it was used in the one stitched corner. Perle cotton is a lustrous, twisted non-divisible thread. It was worth the extra expense because it’s so beautiful, and a joy to work with.
I put tissue paper over the fabric, snapped on the top hoop, and then tore back the tissue paper to protect the fabric from the hoop.
I used a running stitch, satin stitch, and many lazy daisy stitches. So many petals and yet the flowers didn’t come alive until the french knots were added.
Unlike the rest of the stitches, I need to sit at a table to form the french knots. I made 3 twists around the needle. I brushed up on tips on this stitch because they can be tricky. In the past, I’ve had french knots go through the fabric or be loose and sloppy. These look good!
I embroidered the three unstitched corners. My work is on the left and the original completed flower basket is on the right. I did a good job matching threads, although the brown and light lavender are a shade different.
I’ll put it away for now, with plans to add to it later. I want to get back to my summer clothes sewing.