I bought tan cotton twill to make shorts to match my summer tops that don’t go with blue. I was attracted to Itch to Stitch’s pattern, Angelia Shorts, as they have details similar to ready-to- wear shorts I had bought in the past.
I sewed view B which has a zipper fly, 8 buttonholes with lots of pockets, tabs, and cuffs.
I cut a size 10, shortened the crotch extension, narrowed and lengthened the legs, and added to the rise. I typically make significant changes to a pattern. I prefer comparing patterns I’ve used before or measuring clothes that fit instead of sewing a muslin mock-up. I omitted the front pocket tabs, but made the buttonholes and sewed on buttons to keep the same look.
The shorts have a curved waistband with a seam in the center back. In the future, I would either make the waistband elasticized in the back, or use a knit fabric for part of the waistband for greater comfort and ability to fit through weight fluctuations. My new motto is no more uncomfortable waistbands or shoes!
I had major problems with my machine halfway through. The thread kept breaking, the machine locked up a few times, the bobbin tried to jump out of the machine, and the stitches and buttonholes became dreadful.
I had to stop working on the shorts, take a break, and read a book. After about a week, I set to work on troubleshooting the machine. I readjusted the tension, changed the thread, rewound the bobbin, changed the needle and stitched on scraps until somehow I got it in workable condition. Whew! I was able to finish.
To go with the shorts, I upcycled another too tight knee length rayon dress from my own closet into a top, using the bottom 2/3 to make the top. I did the same thing last year, and used that top as a template and used ready made bias tape to finish the necklines and armholes.
More summer sewing to come!