I found some great 1970s skirt patterns at my small neighborhood thrift store.
I also bought this long button front denim skirt with pockets there. I want the basic a-line shape of the first pattern but this time I’m taking a shortcut using this secondhand garment.
Look closer: I’m not wearing it! I’m just holding it up to my waist because the skirt waist is itty-bitty tiny and mine no longer is.
So I cut out the pockets and snipped all the way across to get rid of the tiny top which left the skirt with a huge waist. I unpicked the hem just at the side seams and cut my new a-line shape keeping the width at the bottom and narrowing at the waist to a just right size.
Before sewing, I switched to a denim needle on my machine. I added two darts front and back. I struggled with reattaching the pockets. They had a long opening like side seam pockets but they were inset pockets folded over.
Sometimes it can be easier sewing from scratch than trying to figure out how to rework something.
On to the waistband, which I cut, interfaced, folded over, and sewed on. I attached bias binding to the raw edge.
The last step: making a new buttonhole on the waistband. The top buttonhole is horizontal, and the rest are vertical. A horizontal button is more secure, and can take more stress.
I finished by top stitching the top and bottom of the waistband.
And there you have it : a basic casual classic to wear about town. Like this:
I feel like an editor for a fashion magazine setting up an outfit shot. The little patchwork denim purse is also thrifted.
How I wore it:
Or as worn with another of the kimono sleeve tees I made from a big thrifted tee shirt. The tee is actually a pretty aqua shade but the sun is bleaching the color out in the photo.