I made my first sewing machine cover back in 2012. That was when my only thought was keeping out the dust, and I just used some blah fabric I had on hand. The pattern was from the book “One Yard Wonders”. My sales slip is still inside; I bought it at Borders in October of 2010. I didn’t even have a sewing machine yet when I bought the book.
Inspired by all the versions I’ve since seen on Pinterest, I decided I needed something a little fancier and prettier to cover my machine.
I wanted to use a sewing themed panel I had, incorporate some patchwork, some other bits of sewing themed fabric, and linen blend fabric I had bought for “zakka” style projects. I didn’t fully plan the layout ahead of time, as I like making it up as I go.
I used the sewing panel for the pocket. Then I made a checkerboard section with 2 1/2 inch squares of linen and accent fabric. The third section is a representation of garment sewing with applique dress forms, one containing a little dress, and some hand appliqued hexagons. The bottom section is composed of four 4 inch spool quilt blocks. The spool blocks are from Laundry Basket Quilts.
I love the zig-zag fabric for the center “thread” of the spool blocks. Do you see what they look like? Spools of rick-rack!
I used Sew Delicious’s basic tutorial to make a quilted cover with side panels. Once I had my four sections sewn together in a 17 1/2 inch wide by 30 inch long piece of fabric, I added batting and machine quilted the sections with the exception of the dress form panel which I hand quilted with #8 perle cotton embroidery thread. I used the same thread to hand quilt the pocket, and I added a few buttons as accents. My machine manual fits inside the pocket. It’s one part of the original cover that I liked.
Then I quilted the side panels, sewed them to the main long piece, sewed a lining, and hemmed the bottom.
I used so many techniques I’ve learned since I’ve started sewing to make this cover. I’m really happy with my new, improved, one-of-a-kind, quilted sewing machine cover!