I embroidered two little pieces last summer: one freehand and the other cross stitch.
The dachshund was embroidered with stem stitch and french knots on a linen and cotton blend fabric from a thrifted item of clothing. I added two fabrics as a log cabin type border, cotton batting, and hand quilted stitches with embroidery floss. The previously purchased piping on the left had a much narrower diameter than I wanted, so I made piping from 1/8 cord that I bought from the grocery store. I followed this tutorial from Deby of So Sew Easy.
I liked this scene from the book “Decorative Cross Stitch Borders”, which I have in my library.
When I started stitching the design on 28 count linen, I didn’t like the very tiny head on the girl, so I started making changes.
I ended up with this somewhat altered, tranquil scene.
I added a frame of yo-yos.
I think the piping adds a striking finishing touch to both pieces.