I bought this button front cotton “house dress” type shirtdress for $4 at Goodwill. I was attracted to the colors in the print but also found the print overwhelming. Cover your eyes- it’s a pink and black zebra. The dress had a rectangle shape and looked frumpy on me.
I decided to make a skirt. I made a waistband with the middle piece I cut. I put elastic in the back waist waistband only, and made a new buttonhole for the front. I also narrowed the waistline by sewing a new seam from the hip to the waist.
I practiced my buttonhole on a scrap and it came out perfectly. Then I sewed the real thing and got a big bump. But I stitched it again, and it’ll do. My first buttonhole!
I finished this refashion at the end of November before it was cold.
All of my dresses and skirts are for warm weather. Next I want to refashion a winter skirt.